Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Elvis  

Today is Elvis Presley's birthday.

Wondering how in the hell I know that? Well, everyone's favorite TwiSoup blog guest Jodie The TwiHater is Elvis obsessed.

Her obsession with Elvis rivals my equally insane obsession with Twilight and if you know either of us, that is really saying something. Today she brought her Elvis comemorative LIFE magazine to work with her and set up a shrine on our surgery board instructing all of us to "write something nice" for Elvis. She also brought along a shopping bag full of Twinkies and Ding Dongs in honor of the King. While I have a healthy respect for Elvis...I have an even healthier respect for Twinkies and Ding Dongs. I mean seriously, have you all seen Zombieland? I will never look at Twinkies the same way again.


Anyway, I was enjoying a delicious Twinkie and flipping through the truly amazing collection of photos in LIFE magazine when suddenly my Twilight radar went off. I took a second glance wondering why in the hell anything I was looking at would register as Twilight in my brain. After all, these were picture of Elvis...there is nothing even remotely Twilighty about Elvis; was there?

Then I saw it.

It was the hair


As I flipped through the pages, Elvis's signature bouffant began looking entirely too familiar. In fact, if I squinted my eyes and shook my head just a little the pictures of Elvis were beginning to look like pictures of RPatz.


Sure Elvis has a bit more Dapper Dan hair grease in his sexy locks, but that long in front - messy wave - panty melting hairdo was a dead ringer for somebody else I knew...


I looked up and smiled at Jodie. "He has Robert Pattinson hair."

"NOOOOOOO!!!!" Jodie screamed mortified that I just compared her Precious to my Precious.

"You can NOT turn MY Elvis into something Twilight related!"

"I mean just look, even you have to admit that this hair is pretty RPatz-ish." I held open the magazine and pointed to one of the full page photos.

"No, Robert Pattinson ripped off Elvis's hair!" She yelled grabbing her magazine from my hands before I could taint it any more than I already had.

I thought about that for a minute. She was probably right. Elvis did come first, so in theory he would be the true pioneer of the smexy bouffant. So today I would like to properly honor Elvis Presley.

Happy Birthday Elvis!

Thank you for everything you have done for music,
movies and celebrity male sex symbols!

From the bottom of our Twilight stuffed hearts
- SGP, T-Nabs and Nameless Wonder.

Elvis may have left the building...but he has never left our hearts....: )

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Happy Birthday Elvis


  •  

    I was an Elvis fan around the time Rpatz was born. Granted I was around 5 or 6 but I loved him!! (I also had no idea he was deceased until my mom told me. LOL!) Anyway, my mom & I had this discussion about Rob's hair & how he really reminded my mom & myself of Elvis when he was younger. It's all about the hair. :-)

  • Anonymous

     

    I so agree with the hair and connection!!!

    I am in my 30s and when I saw RPattz in the restaurant scene in Twilight even I thought Oh my gosh this boy could play Elvis, and I'm not like a crazed Elvis fan.

    Now my aunt, who is the Elvis fan, also commented that RPattz reminds her of Elvis...then AOL released a supposed NEW pic of him sitting by the piano and to me it was so connectable (is that a word?) to the VF pic of Rob at the piano.

    But word to RPattz...no overdosing please!